homeschooling spring day

A Delightful Spring Homeschool Day

I’m excited to welcome back Misty Mendoza as a guest blogger! Thankfully her family is doing much better than they were in her last post! Ahhh… spring! I personally love this time of the homeschool year. The weather is getting warmer, allowing for more time spent outside in the sunshine. Other activities are wrapping up for the school year and our course load begins getting lighter. Yes, spring gives me a new sense of hope and motivation when it comes to homeschooling. It’s like rounding the corner after a long race and seeing the finish line in sight. Can you relate? Every day of the week brings something different for our family. Part of me misses when we had a simpler schedule, but I’m learning to embrace this season and find joy in the chaos. Today’s spring edition of “day in the life of a homeschool mom” happens to fall on a Wednesday which is a therapy day for one of my little guys.

Early Morning

4:00 a.m. I woke up 30 minutes earlier than normal, because I couldn’t sleep. I try to spend the early morning hours doing blog work before everyone wakes up. 4:30 a.m. My husband made it home safely from work and we visited until he fell asleep. He has been working nights, which is a new schedule for him and it’s had a big effect on our family’s schedule. 5:00 a.m. I got back to my blog work. 6:30 a.m. My youngest is almost always the first child awake and he loves to snuggle for a few minutes before he starts playing for the day. Today was no exception and I was happy to snuggle. 6:45 a.m. My 4-year-old woke up and joined in on snuggles. Having his big brother awake motivated my youngest to start playing so we moved to his room to keep the noise down some.


7:00 a.m. My big kids, Katie is 13 and Kelsey is 17, woke up and ate breakfast. Then they started on their school work. The biggest challenge I’ve found with my husband’s night schedule is trying to keep my little guys quiet. Are all little boys loud? We read books for about 15 minutes and they do play relatively quietly for the first hour. After that, it’s hopeless. I really need to figure out something that works. While they are playing quietly, I bounced back and forth between my daughters answering any questions they had about their school work.   8:30 a.m. My oldest daughter left for work. She works 1 or 2 days a week and has been blessed with a job where she travels around the state. She is able to work on school in the car while they travel to different locations. In a desperate attempt to keep my boys quiet, I opted to give them a bath. Katie worked on her vocabulary pages and only needed help with a couple of words. 9:00 a.m. Katie let me know “Daddy” was awake, so I got the boys out of the bathtub. Katie offered to get the boys ready, so I could get ready too. I hurried off to get dressed and make breakfast. 9:30 a.m. We ate a quick breakfast with Daddy and started straightening up before therapy. After eating their oatmeal, my little guys enjoyed getting out some of their energy out riding circles around us on their bikes. 10:00 a.m. Katie headed downstairs to do her math and I worked on laundry, while my little guys played. My husband spent the rest of the morning working on a project outside. 10:45 a.m. My son’s occupational therapist arrived. He has occupational therapy twice a week and the therapist comes to our home, which is very helpful. The therapist also includes our youngest in the therapy so they can work on cooperative play. My youngest loves getting to participate and gets so excited when he arrives. When Katie finished her math she was done for the day and went outside to spend time with her daddy.


12:00 p.m. After telling the OT (Occupational Therapist) good-bye, we got ready to leave for speech therapy. 12:30 p.m. Levi and I left for speech therapy. Luke was thrilled he got to stay home with Daddy and Katie. 1:00 p.m. Levi only has speech once a week and his therapist is amazing. She has shared many techniques we have been able to work on with him at home and his speech is coming a long way. 2:00 p.m. After therapy Levi and I headed straight home. 2:30 p.m. We arrived home just in time to tell my husband “good night” before he laid down for his afternoon nap to prepare for his night shift. Kelsey had just gotten home from work and joined Katie and Luke watching a movie downstairs. Since they were being so quiet, Levi and I played quietly in his room. 3:30 p.m. The girls and Luke joined us upstairs. While the boys played, Kelsey and I went over what school work she had done while she was at work. Then we had a little bit of downtime before it was time to fix dinner and head to youth group. We also squeezed in some Driver’s Ed. on the way to youth group.đŸ˜‰

Wednesday – Therapy Day

As I mentioned earlier, each day of the week brings something a little different for our family. Wednesday is what I call therapy day, because a large chunk of it is around therapy. On Wednesdays I don’t do much preschool with my little guys. We read and play and of course have therapy. Normally the girls and I work on history and writing on Wednesday afternoons, but we’ve finished those subjects for the year, so we were able to enjoy a more relaxed schedule today.

What do your spring homeschool days look like; are they different every day or more consistent? Are you enjoying activities and school work winding down for the year as well?